Original Copperplate Map

1690 RARE P. AVELINE important PIAZZA DEL POPOLO Rome Roma Italy Original


1690 RARE P. AVELINE important PIAZZA DEL POPOLO Rome Roma Italy Original
1690 RARE P. AVELINE important PIAZZA DEL POPOLO Rome Roma Italy Original

1690 RARE P. AVELINE important PIAZZA DEL POPOLO Rome Roma Italy Original    1690 RARE P. AVELINE important PIAZZA DEL POPOLO Rome Roma Italy Original

Vue de la Place du Peuple. En entrant dans la ville de Rome. A fine and very rare view of Piazza del Popolo.

In Rome engraved with great care by Pierre Aveline. Published in Paris in 1690. Below a key listing 6 point of interest. He probably trained with Adam Pérelle and, like him, specialized in topographical representations.

He engraved in suites many views of Paris and of provincial, European and African cities, mixing etching and burin. Size of the image: 315 x 210 mm - plus margins.

History of Piazza del Popolo. The layout of the piazza today was designed in neoclassical style between 1811 and 1822 by the architect Giuseppe Valadier, He removed a modest fountain by Giacomo Della Porta, erected in 1572, and demolished some insignificant buildings and haphazard high screening walls to form two semicircles, reminiscent of Bernini's plan for St. Peter's Square, replacing the original cramped trapezoidal square centred on the Via Flaminia. Valadier's Piazza del Popolo, however, incorporated the verdure of trees as an essential element; he conceived his space in a third dimension, expressed in the building of the viale that leads up to the balustraded overlook from the Pincio. An Egyptian obelisk of Sety I (later erected by Rameses II) from Heliopolis stands in the centre of the Piazza.

Three sides of the obelisk were carved during the reign of Sety I and the fourth side, under Rameses II. The obelisk, known as the Flaminio Obelisk or the Popolo Obelisk, is the second oldest and one of the tallest obelisks in Rome (some 24 m high, or 36 m including its plinth). The obelisk was brought to Rome in 10 BC by order of Augustus and originally set up in the Circus Maximus. It was re-erected here in the piazza by the architect-engineer Domenico Fontana in 1589 as part of the urban plan of Sixtus V. The piazza also formerly contained a central fountain, which was moved to the Piazza Nicosia in 1818, when fountains, in the form of Egyptian-style lions, were added around the base of the obelisk.

Looking from the north, three streets branch out from the piazza into the city, forming the so-called "trident" (il Tridente): the Via del Corso in the centre; the Via del Babuino to the left (opened in 1525 as the Via Paolina) and the Via di Ripetta (opened by Leo X in 1518 as the Via Leonina) to the right. The twin churches (the chiese gemelle) of Santa Maria dei Miracoli (1681) and Santa Maria in Montesanto (1679), begun by Carlo Rainaldi and completed by Bernini and Carlo Fontana, define the junctions of the roads. Close scrutiny of the twin churches reveals that they are not mere copies of one another, as they would have been in a Neoclassical project, but vary in their details, offering variety within their symmetrical balance in Baroque fashion.

The central street, now known as the Via del Corso, was the ancient Via Lata, and to the north it links with the ancient Roman road, the Via Flaminia, beyond the city gate and southwards, to the Piazza Venezia (formerly the Piazza San Marco), the Capitol and the forum. The Via di Ripetta leads past the Mausoleum of Augustus to the River Tiber, where the Baroque riverside landing called the Porto di Ripetta was located until it was destroyed in the late 19th century.

The Via del Babuino ("Baboon"), linking to Piazza di Spagna, takes its name from a grotesque sculpture of Silenus that gained the popular name of "the Baboon". To the north of the piazza stands the Porta del Popolo, beyond which lies the Piazzale Flaminio and the start of the Via Flaminia. The gateway was reworked to give its current appearance by Bernini for Pope Alexander VII in 1655, to welcome Queen Christina of Sweden to Rome following her conversion to Roman Catholicism and her abdication. Opposite Santa Maria del Popolo stands a Carabinieri station, with a dome reflecting that of the church.

All of the maps we sell are Originals, Authentic and in Good condition. The item "1690 RARE P. AVELINE important PIAZZA DEL POPOLO Rome Roma Italy Original" is in sale since Thursday, May 11, 2017. This item is in the category "Antiques\Maps, Atlases & Globes\Europe Maps". The seller is "ruggis" and is located in Brescia.

This item can be shipped worldwide.

  1. Condition: Used
  2. Original/Reproduction: Original
  3. Type: view
  4. Maker: Pierre Aveline
  5. Country/Region: Italy
  6. Year: 1690
  7. Topic: Architecture
  8. Printing Technique: Copper Plate
  9. Continent: Europe


1690 RARE P. AVELINE important PIAZZA DEL POPOLO Rome Roma Italy Original    1690 RARE P. AVELINE important PIAZZA DEL POPOLO Rome Roma Italy Original